Why choose Mayafriends?
Mayafriends use local knowledge and international support to make a sustainable effort in the mayan community.
Tel: +47 33 45 20 12
Mob: +47 45 20 59 97
Org.nr.: 998 762 227
Bank account: 2500.23.03690
IBAN: NO23 2500 2303 690
Webdesign - © Mayafriends 2012
Mayafriends supports several main projects in Guatemala
Support and encourage environmental programs in the country
- Work in coordination with village leaders and non-governmental organizations
to promote the reforestation with regards to water resources, and in general,
with the regeneration of native species of trees. Among other things, we would
like to work with children in schools, for example with each child planting their
- Promote programs of waste management. Teach the obvious importance of
reducing waste, especially important in a country where recycling facilities are
- Education and seminars on natural methods of water purification and
distribution of organic water filters and setting of highly efficient fire wood
- Assist local programs and establish new programs to develop and encourage
the use of natural products, as an alternative to the use of chemical products of various sorts responsible of pollution.
- Encourage and assist local co-operatives trading in hand crafted products locally, as well as help the indigenous communities getting their products onto the international market through the use of fair trade policies. Most of their products are crafted and developed using renewable resources.
Support the poor or the almost nonexistent health system in
- Deworming programs for underprivileged children in villages and schools.
- Provisional clinics where medical care and preventive measures can be offered.
- Distribution of vitamins, with focus on the elderly and pregnant women.
- Facilitate transportation to the nearest capable facility in case of emergencies.
- Work in coordination with the already existing health centres and help with the
infrastructure and further building and development when it is needed.
Support the educational system in Guatemala
- Support the already established schools by providing them with educational
material, such as writing boards, books, stationary, paper, notebooks etc.
- Sponsor, on a biyearly basis, students whose families are not able to pay
for their own education.
- Facilitate workshops and transportation for teachers and psychotherapists
who are professional in the field of specialised education, for children with
learning disabilities and other conditions such as: Down’s Syndrome, Aspergers
Syndrome (a high functioning form of Autism), ADHD (Attention Deficit
Hyperactive Disorder) etc.
- Engage directly with, preventing and strictly not tolerating any form of child
abuse. We wish to do this by setting up informative workshops and seminars
for parents and teachers on preventive education and successful methods of communication.
- Build and implement playgrounds in schools or public areas, with the labor aid of local people.
- Help with the maintenance of school buildings, and when needed, with the building of new schools.
Import, transport and distribution of donations of various kinds
- We have friends in several countries providing and collecting items like
clothes, blankets, boots and shoes, toys, books and many other products
related to our work in Guatemala, and we are always grateful and looking for
more second hand items in good condition.
- Seek out sea cargo services and methods of shipping able to help us transport
the donations. The aim is of course to use the least money possible on
administrative fees and other expenses, to allow for the greatest percentage of
the funds we raise to directly impact and reach the Guatemalan people in need.